RICHARD THOMPSON DANUBE RIVER CRUISE
15 - 22 JUNE 2021
City, countryside, river and so much more. Enter a world of wonderful contrasts: of bustling cities that turn into dreamy, romantic villages and cultural landmarks that make way for impressive natural wonders. Just breathe deeply, enjoy, discover.
- Free-flowing red & white wines from Europe’s famous wine regions, beer & soft drinks with every lunch and dinner on board
Gourmet dining every night
Services of an experienced English-speaking onboard Cruise Director
24 hour coffee station
5 nights of programmed entertainment (First and last night will be impromptu)
Bottled water in every stateroom
Complimentary Wi-Fi onboard
Complimentary use of onboard bicycles
Complimentary state-of-the-art audio headsets for optional excursions
All local taxes & port charges included
Optional Excursion Package available (please ask for details)
Airport transfer to/from ship on 15/06/21 & 22/06/21
Richard Thompson will perform three shows on board during the week on the following days:
Thursday 17, Saturday 19 & Monday 21.
All shows will take place in the Panorama Bar and commence after the dinner service in the Restaurant.
Joining Richard on the cruise will be acclaimed Welsh born singer-songwriter and pianist, Judith Owen. Expect re-worked jazz versions of rock classics like Soundgarden's 'Black Hole Sun', Deep Purple's 'Smoke on the Water' and even a fresh take on Survivor's arena rock anthem, 'Eye of the Tiger' as well as plenty of self-penned material bringing a singular sense of humour and raw emotionalism that is both poignant and funny.
DAY 1 - EMBARKATION – BUDAPEST
- This afternoon, embark Amadeus Queen and get settled into your cabin. During the evening, enjoy a welcome cocktail, followed by a specially-prepared welcome dinner.
- Afterwards enjoy meeting your fellow sailors in the lounge followed by an atmospheric evening cruise through Budapest.
DAY 2 - BRATISLAVA
- In the morning, we call at our next capital city - the Slovakian capital of Bratislava. Walking through the city, see the home of the Slovak Philharmonic Orchestra, the old city walls, the summer residence of the archbishop and the current residence of the president of Slovakia. You can also walk through the restored old town, from Michael’s Gate, and admire sights such as the Primatial Palace and St. Martin’s Cathedral, a former coronation cathedral for Hungarian kings.
- This afternoon's optional excursion offers the opportunity to visit impressive Schloss Hof, a former Imperial Palace acquired in 1726 by Eugene of Savoy and redesigned to impress Empress Maria Theresia - with its aristocratic palace, terraced garden and tranquil estate farm.
- This evening join your fellow travellers for a delicious dinner followed by entertainment in the lounge as we depart Solvakia and cross into Austria.
DAY 3 - DURNSTEIN - MELK
- The romantic Wachau is one of the most beautiful landscape regions of Austria, and in the morning your AMADEUS ship docks in Dürnstein, a town well known for its first-class wines, which you can taste during the morning sightseeing walk.
- At lunchtime, we continue towards Melk and Emmersdorf. Enjoy magnificent architecture and fascinating glimpses into history on the optional excursion, including a visit to the Benedictine Abbey of Melk, which is approximately 900 years old and is the largest Baroque abbey in Austria.
- In the evening, we leave the Wachau Valley and head for Passau.
- Entertainment in the Lounge after Dinner.
DAY 4 - PASSAU
- Today we arrive in the Bavarian city of Passau, also known as the “City of Three Rivers”, where the mighty Danube converges with the green Inn River and the Ilz River.
- You can visit the romantic old town in the afternoon on a sightseeing walk, allowing yourself to be inspired by Passau’s winding lanes and historical buildings. In the late afternoon, we return to our ship to continue our journey to Regensburg.
DAY 5 - REGENSBURG
- In the morning, we arrive in Regensburg, which boasts one of the most beautiful old towns in Germany.
- After breakfast embark on an optional walking tour to view the sights and cultural treasures of this romantic town. In the afternoon you can visit the well-known Weltenburg Abbey with its own brewery where you can taste its famous, dark Weltenburg beer.
- Late afternoon we head for Linz and on board in the evening, a traditional Bavarian dinner awaits you.
DAY 6 - LINZ
- Early in the morning we arrive in the erstwhile cultural capital of Linz.
- Today, you have a choice between an optional full-day excursion to the Mozart-town of Salzburg, or a sightseeing walk through Linz.
DAY 7 - VIENNA
- There is much to see in Imperial Vienna: its palaces, Museums Quarter displaying works by artists Egon Schiele and Gustav Klimt, the impressive buildings along the Ringstrasse, St. Stephen’s Cathedral and the famous Vienna State Opera among many others.
- This afternoon perhaps venture to Schönbrunn Palace, the sumptuous Summer Palace and gardens of Empress Maria Theresia and the Habsburg empire.
DAY 8 - BUDAPEST
- This morning, following your final delicious breakfast on board we bid farewell.
Airport transfer details will be available for those with flights departing the same day or the crew will gladly assist with arranging taxi transfers to specific city hotels for anyone staying in Budapest.
|RICHARD THOMPSON - BUDAPEST - BUDAPEST NAUTICAL ITINERARY|
|15.06.21||Tue||Budapest||DEP||21:30||Check-in from 16.00h onwards|
|16.06.21||Wed||Bratislava||ARR||13:00||*City Tour Bratislava 14:00 - 17:00|
|17.06.21||Thu||Dürnstein||ARR||8:00||*City Walk Dürnstein 09:00 - 10:30|
|Emmersdorf/Melk||ARR||13:00||*Melk Abbey with wine tasting 13:30 - 17:30|
|18.06.21||Fri||Passau||ARR||13:00||*City walk Passau 14:00 - 16:00|
|19.06.21||Sat||Regensburg||ARR||8:00||*City walk Regensburg 09:00 - 11:00|
|20.06.21||Sun||Linz||ARR||7:00||*City walk Linz 09:30 - 11:30|
|DEP||19:00||*Full day Salzburg with Salzkammergut & Lunch 08:00 - 18:00|
|21.06.21||Mon||Vienna / Nussdorf||ARR||7:00||*City tour Vienna 09:00 - 12:30|
|22.06.21||Tue||Budapest||ARR||9:00||Disembark after breakfast|
|Itinerary subject to amendment / *Excursions optional extra|
Prices are per person and do not include flights. Please contact us if you require assistance with your travel arrangements.
|Suite||Mozart Deck||£2,899||SOLD OUT|
|A1||Mozart Deck||£2,499||One Available|
|B1||Strauss Deck||£2,299||SOLD OUT|
|B1 Solo Occupancy||Strauss Deck||£2,989||SOLD OUT|
|B4||Strauss Deck||£1,999||SOLD OUT|
|C1||Haydn Deck||£1,699||One available|
|C1 Solo Occupancy||Haydn Deck||£2,399||SOLD OUT|
|C4||Haydn Deck||£1,599||SOLD OUT|
Q: Are flights included?
A: No, you are responsible for your own travel arrangements to and from the ship. However, we are happy to assist with booking flights on your behalf. Please contact us for details if you require assistance
Q: Which airport to I need to fly into / home from?
A: Your airport of arrival and departure is Budapest (BUD)
Q: Are airport transfers included?
A: Transfers are included from Budapest Airport to the ship on 15th June and from the ship to Budapest Airport on 22nd June.
Should you opt to extend your stay at the end of your cruise, you will be responsible for your own transfer to the airport. The crew will be happy to assist with taxis from the ship to your Hotel on disembarkation day.
Q: What time can I board the ship on Embarkation day?
A: You can normally board from 1pm but your stateroom may not be available until after 3pm. You will be able to enjoy the ships facilities until your room is ready to be occupied.
Q: What time is disembarkation from?
A: As the ship has a quick turnaround, you will be required to vacate your cabin after breakfast on the day of departure. If you have a late flight or transfer you may be able to store your luggage on board until later in the day, depending on the ship’s itinerary. The crew on board will be happy to assist.
Q: Is there WiFi on board?
A: Yes WiFi is provided in all public areas of the ship. However, during the trip the signal may be weaker in certain sections of the route.
Q: Is there an elevator on board?
A: All AMADEUS ships have a guest elevator, which operates between the Mozart and Haydn decks. The sun deck is not accessible by elevator.
Q: What is the dress code on board?
A: We want to you feel comfortable on board, the dress code is casual during the day and in the evening smart casual. Think what would I wear for a meal out in a restaurant at home?
Q: What is the electrical current on board?
A: The voltage in hotels and onboard ship is 230V, European standard. To use any electrical product that is not dual voltage (e.g. from the US, Canada, Australia or the UK), you will need a plug adaptor and some devices will require an electrical converter. Many electronic devices have built-in electrical converters, however please check the manufacturer’s specifications for details. A two-pole adaptor is also available at reception.
Q: Mooring and Docking
A: Local river authorities allocate docking space around ship arrivals and departures in port. Occasionally port conditions require ships to tie up alongside each other, in which case guests may be required to walk through another ship to access their own ship. This is part of the river cruise experience and is perfectly normal and beyond our control. Guests may experience obstructed views from staterooms when the ship is docked.
Q: What is the currency on board the ship
A: The currency on board all AMADEUS ships is EURO However, you may also settle your account in (GBP) Sterling or (USD) American Dollars
Q: What about gratuities?
A: Gratuities for the ship’s staff and crew are not included in your cruise price. You may pre-pay gratuities through our office with a suggested amount of USD 12.00 / EUR 11.00 per person per day. Alternately you may wish to tip onboard in cash or add a gratuity to your onboard account.
Gratuities for drivers and guides for optional excursions are not included in the excursion price. A suggested amount is 1-2 EUR per person for half day excursion & 2-3 EUR per person for the full day excursion given directly to the guide and driver.
What to pack:
The following items are essential for any destination: sunglasses, sunscreen, hat, and maybe an umbrella. It is recommended that you bring duplicates of prescription eyewear, copies of prescriptions for any medications (generic equivalents are usually easier to obtain), copies of credit card information, and copies of your passport information pages.
An adapter/transformer may be necessary (the on-board power supply is 230V AC/50 Hz) if you bring any electronic devices with you.
Comfortable, casual clothing is appropriate both onshore and onboard and we suggest lightweight clothing that can be layered. Shorts are appropriate for most tours, however long pants may be required for inside visits on some excursions. Your cruise manager will advise when and if this is required. You may find a significant amount of walking over uneven terrain during your time ashore. We recommend comfortable walking shoes with good ankle support. Sturdy sandals are another good option.
Don’t forget to pack a lightweight, waterproof jacket (preferably hooded) or even a heavier-weight wind-breaker for cooler temperatures. Also, keep in mind that the ship, coaches and other venues visited on our itinerary are air conditioned and may be quite cool. We recommend you that you pack a lightweight sweater or long sleeve shirts and carry them with you on excursions.
On all our excursions you’ll be provided with a wireless AMADEUS listening device. The receiver can be worn quite comfortably around the neck or carried in a bag. The comfortable headphones allow you to hear your experienced tour guide’s explanations with the very best acoustic quality. Enjoy complete freedom of movement, without missing any of the interesting commentary.
- All excursions can be booked in advance or aboard. (For organisational reasons, some excursions can only be booked aboard).
- Minimum participation for excursions by bus: 20 people.
- Minimum participation for excursions on foot: 12 people.
- The schedule of individual excursions can vary; this is partly due to the volume of traffic in the cities and the opening hours of facilities.
- Please remember to wear sturdy shoes as well as comfortable, waterproof clothing when attending the excursions.
- When exploring on your own, please remember to return to the vessel in time for its departure. If you miss the departure, you have to travel to the next port at your own expense. You will find the all aboard time in the daily programme.
- Itineraries and prices are subject to alterations.
Some excursions involve a fair amount of walking, sometimes over uneven surfaces. The following coding system has been used to assist with identifying which excursions are appropriate for you. Please ask your cruise director for additional information as required.
- LEVEL 1: Minimum walking; excursion by bus with short photo stops.
- LEVEL 2: The excursion by bus is followed by a moderate walking tour. You may need to climb some stairs.
- LEVEL 3: The excursion by bus is followed by a longer walk. You may need to climb several stairs.
- LEVEL 4: Moderate walking tour. You may need to climb some stairs.
- LEVEL 5: Considerable walk with longer distances. This may include uneven surfaces and some stairs.
|Excursion Package - Budapest to Budapest|
|Owing to the variety of available excursions it‘s often difficult to choose between them - so on this cruise we offer you tailor-made and carefully composed sets of excursions that you can book in advance with 15% discount. All excursions can of course also be booked individually at regular rates|
|City tour of Bratislava||£30||✓||✓||✓|
|City Walk Dürnstein||£22||✓||✓|
|Excursion to the Wachau including Melk Abbey and wine tasting||£51||✓||✓||✓|
|Passau walking tour||£16||✓||✓||✓|
|Regensburg walking tour||£16||✓||✓||✓|
|Linz walking tour||£18||✓||✓|
|Full-day excursion to Salzburg including Salzkammergut and lunch||£84||✓|
|City tour of Vienna||£31||✓||✓||✓|
|On Board Package Price||£144||£184||£268|
|Price for packages booked in advance -15%||£122||£156||£228|
CITY TOUR OF BRATISLAVA
Get to know the capital of the young Slovakian Republic. The gorgeous old town has maintained its Gothic-Baroque style. The tour passes St. Martin’s Cathedral and the Grassalkovich Palace and continues up to the hill above the old town, where you will have a stunning, panoramic view of the city and surrounding areas. Afterwards, a guided walking tour leads you through the restored old town.
From Michael’s Gate you will take a leisurely stroll through the historic city centre, where you can admire sights such as the Primatial Palace and St. Martin’s Cathedral, a former coronation cathedral for Hungarian kings, as well as the Academia Istropolitana, the oldest university of the city, which dates back to the 15th century. In addition to numerous palaces, you will also see the main square with the old City Hall, the Opera House and Maximilian Fountain.
Duration: approx. 3 hrs
Walking Grade: 2
DÜRNSTEIN WALKING TOUR
Situated in the heart of the magnificent Wachau valley, on the banks of the mighty river Danube, this well-known wine village offers the unique combination of breathtaking scenery, traditional architecture and places of historic interest. Walk through the picturesque old town of Dürnstein, past the town walls and the Pranger Square with its lovely view of the castle ruins. Walk along the Convent of Klarissen, past the Baroque monastery and the pedestrian area, to the charming Hotel Schloss Dürnstein.
Duration: approx. 1.5 hrs
Walking Grade: 4
EXCURSION TO MELK ABBEY
Melk Abbey is an Austrian Benedictine abbey and one of the world’s most famous monastic sites. The impressive Baroque abbey was built between 1702 and 1736 and is the biggest monastery complex of the Austrian Baroque period. The abbey’s church, with frescos by Johann Michael Rottmayr, and the impressive library with countless medieval manuscripts and frescos by Paul Troger are particularly noteworthy.
A guided tour takes you through the abbot’s chambers, along the imperator’s walk, through the marble hall, the balconies and the library. At the end of the tour we will invite you for a complimentary glass of wine.
Duration: approx. 4 hrs
Walking Grade: 3
PASSAU WALKING TOUR
Join us on a gorgeous walk through the old city of Passau. The Baroque city on three rivers has long been a magnet for traders and travellers. It will astonish you from your first moments in its winding streets. In the heart of the Old Town lies our most known site — St. Stephen’s Cathedral, often known as a Baroque cathedral with a Gothic soul. The impressive pipe organ helps make St. Stephen’s a true highlight of our three river city. High above the Old Town sits one of the largest fortress complexes in all Europe — the Veste Oberhaus which can be discovered on your own at the end of the walking tour. Accessible via the exterior walls, never conquered, never completely destroyed; it is a prime example of long term historical construction.
Duration: approx. 2 hrs
Walking Grade: 5
REGENSBURG WALKING TOUR
Regensburg is one of the best-preserved medieval cities in Germany with its impressive historic buildings. Among these architectural treasures are churches, monasteries, the town hall and one of Europe’s oldest bridges that has spanned the Danube since the 12th century. During this walk you will feel the former power and wealth of this city, which once controlled the trade route to the Orient. During a short visit to the Regensburg Cathedral, dedicated to St. Peter, you can admire this masterpiece of Gothic architecture in southern Germany. (Visits depend on the opening hours and the celebration of mass).
Duration: approx. 2 hrs
Walking Grade: 4
LINZ WALKING TOUR
Discover the upper Austrian state capital Linz on a walking tour. It was a provincial and local government city of the Holy Roman Empire, and an important trade centre, connecting several trade routes. As the city where the Habsburg Emperor Friedrich III spent his last years, it was, for a short period of time, the most important city in the Empire. It lost its status to Vienna and Prague after the death of the Emperor in 1493. There are many things worth seeing in Linz. Take a stroll down the main street, which leads to the main square. In addition to the medieval town square in the historic old town and the Mozarthaus, you can see Baroque bourgeois family houses, the old cathedral with the Bruckner organ or the new cathedral. Visits depend on Cathedral and Mass openings/times. Visible from afar is the pilgrimage basilica on the mountain Poestling, the landmark of the town. A modern counterpart are the Lentos art museum and the Ars Electronica centre, with its striking glass facade. If time allows, explore the local bakeries for a taste of the famous Linzer Torte (Linzer Cake).
Duration: approx. 2 hrs
Walking Grade: 4
FULL-DAY EXCURSION TO SALZBURG WITH SALZKAMMERGUT AND LUNCH
A two-hour coach ride will bring you to Salzburg — the city of music. The old town with its world-famous Baroque architecture is one of the best-preserved city centres north of the Alps. It was adopted by UNESCO in 1997 and is included on its list of World Cultural Heritage Sites. During the guided tour through the old town you will see the birth house of Mozart (exterior only), as well as other well-known attractions, such as the ‘Getreidegasse‘ and the gorgeous cathedral of the town and the area of the Salzburg festival.
After enjoying an included lunch, head to the picturesque village of Mondsee, best known as a film location for the famous movie “The Sound of Music”. Enjoy the beautiful scenery as you return to the ship.
Duration: approx. 9.5 hrs
Walking Grade: 3
CITY TOUR OF VIENNA
Over the last centuries, Vienna was the imperial capitol and residence of the Habsburg family and developed into a cultural and political centre of Europe, during this period.
While it may take days or weeks to fully discover Vienna, this tour will introduce you to the most important sights Vienna has to offer. Begin with a panoramic drive along the famous Ringstrasse, passing several magnificent buildings like the stunning opera house, the parliament, the Court Theatre and Vienna’s imposing city hall. Continue with a guided walk through the city centre. Begin at the well-known Hofburg Imperial Palace, walk along the Kohl market and finish at Vienna’s iconic St. Stephen’s cathedral. Before returning to the ship, enjoy free time to explore the pedestrian area.
Duration: approx. 3.5 hrs
Walking Grade: 2